Thursday, March 28, 2013

Florida Gateway Pro Rodeo

 
March 15-17th:

Finally, a rodeo that I didn’t have to drive over 5 hours to get to! This weekend I traveled to Lake City, FL for the Florida Gateway Pro Rodeo. I had so much fun at this rodeo it was probably one of the best I’ve been to yet in Florida – but then again I say that almost every rodeo I go to  :) I was provided a room at the Fairfield Inn which is always nice and after work on Friday I was able to stop there for a quick shower before heading to the performance – which beats the alternative that I was planning on - changing in my car & putting in my fake hair piece (I like to call it my ‘farrett’).

At the rodeo Sierra Coward, Miss Teen Rodeo Florida, and myself were able to carry flags the entire time. This is a rare occurrence down here because usually flag teams assume that responsibility. We had a great time and I made sure to let Sierra lead the group at times and switch with her. I think she really enjoyed that!

Rider Kiesner was the specialty act that was hired at this rodeo. He is a multitalented performer, a true Wild West showman. His performances include Whip Cracking, Gun Spinning, and his specialty, Trick Roping. I originally met him in Las Vegas where he was featured for one of the performances of the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo. He met the entire flag team, so I don’t know if he really remembered me or not at first – but we had a great time the entire weekend and now I’m sure there’s no way he’ll forget the flag girl who is also Miss Rodeo Florida :)   
 
 



Other than the rodeo, I was able to help out with kids activities at the fair. I was in charge of the bean bag toss and also the saw horse roping! Another event that I attended was the kids rodeo where I led kids around on horses who hadn’t ever gotten the chance to ride before. This is always a rewarding experience because the kids get so excited and some are scared to death! It’s fun to share my love of horses with those who have never been around them before.

One other neat thing that I got to do was drive a maroon, 50th Anniversary Corvette Coupe! Dion, an individual who hosted Miss Teen Rodeo Florida & Miss Rodeo Florida Sweetheart at his house for the rodeo, was the owner. I couldn’t believe he let me drive it! Apparently it is a tradition for Miss Rodeo Florida to take it for a spin during the rodeo, and I wasn’t about to break tradition! I had never driven such a powerful car before in my life. It had so much torque it was incredible! I tried to keep it under the speed limit, but that didn’t last very long. We had a great time driving it around and I was sad to hand the keys back over to Mr. Dion! 





Running Time in a Car: 98h 38m
Running Mileage: 6653

No comments:

Post a Comment