Thursday, April 18, 2013

Old Spanish Trail Rodeo

It’s always nice to have a rodeo close to home, and this one is probably the closest I’ll get all year. Baker, FL is home to the 24th annual Old Spanish Trail Pro Rodeo. It is about 40 miles North of where I live. Mark Todd, production manager, saw my article in the NW Florida Daily News earlier this year and learned that I was in the military and also involved in rodeo, so he contacted my board and requested my attendance. I thought that was really great to pick up a new rodeo to attend, and also one that’s in the Panhandle because there aren’t many up this way that Miss Rodeo FL’s have gone to in the past.
The rodeo was great - both nights the bleachers were packed. One of the highlights was getting to meet the Trish Lynn & the All American Cowgirl Chicks. They are a trick riding drill team/entertainment group from Texas. They have their own TV show on RFD-TV also, called “Cowgirl Chicks Never Quit.” But what is so cool about this group, is that they are riding for a cure for cancer, and have rescued all of the horses that they ride from being abused or abandoned. Sadie & Hattie are Trish’s daughters, and they did all of the trick riding in Baker. It was really cool to see them working together, and it reminded me a lot of my sister and I – even their hair color matched! I got to have a couple of autograph sessions with them during the day and after the rodeo, so I got to get to know the girls a little bit and ask them tons of questions about how they got started and where they are today! I hadn’t ever seen their show before, but after I met them I went and found tons of their episodes online. You can watch all of season 1 & 2 of their TV show on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/cowgirlchicks
A lot of my friends were able to come to the rodeo because it was so close to home, and a lot of them had never even been to one before! I was glad that they got the chance, and also that I was able to be there to explain some things. I had to laugh about one of the comments my friends made about calf roping – they said all the men sure did a good job, but when they got to the women none of their ropes stayed tied to the saddles! I explained the difference in tie-down roping and break away roping, but it really was funny.





After the rodeo on Saturday, I packed my bags and got ready for a long day ahead. I would fly out to Oklahoma City, OK in the morning to do a photoshoot for the cover of Supermodels Unlimited Magazine, & then back home by Monday morning to go to work.
Check out my video blog from the Old Spanish Trail Rodeo here: https://www.facebook.com/dale.gmc#!/photo.php?v=10200687214238557
Running Time in a Car: 144h 58m
Running Mileage: 9,461
Running TV Interviews: 6
Running Radio Spots: 2
Running School Visits: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment